A classic breakfast treat dolled up with single barrel whiskey and plums.
Desperate times call for alcohol infused breakfast foods. I was inspired to meld whiskey and fruit together after an essential trip to the liquor store and coffee cake seemed a natural way to make that connection.
I’ve been busying my brain with adult coloring books, webinars, and long walks- but nothing is quite as effective as the solace I find in the kitchen. The results are comforting, naughty foods that I hope you’ll recreate in your own home!
- The additional liquid from the whiskey will make for a slightly gooier than average layer just beneath the streusel. It can be devoured as is or you can wait 6-12 hours for it to firm up.
- I used lovely black plums but any stone fruit will work here.
- Use a round or square pan with at least 2 inches in depth and a 8 -9 inch diameter.
- Make sure the plums are soaked in whiskey for at least 20 minutes before baking.
BOOZY PLUM COFFEE CAKE
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch allspice
- 5 TBSP butter, softened and cut into irregular pieces
- 2-3 medium plums, pitted and quartered
- 2 oz. good whiskey
- 1 stick softened unsalted butter
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- pinch salt
- powdered sugar for decoration
Combine all streusel ingredients in a food processor until mixture resembles crumbs. Refrigerate until time of use. Place plums flesh side down in whiskey (in shallow dish) at least 30 minutes before baking.
Preheat oven to 350. Grease/ spray your cake pan. For cake, cream butter and sugar with mixer paddle attachment or wooden spoon until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and thoroughly mix. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into bowl and mix just until batter is not lumpy.
Your comments and feedback mean so much! Let me know if you try this recipe.